About Missoula Montana
Missoula raft trips and kayak trips are unsurpassed in their beauty and diversity because of the Blackfoot River and Clark Fork River. Missoula, known as the “Garden City” for its dense trees and lush green landscape, is nestled in the heart of Northern Rockies in western Montana. Missoula is a community of nearly 100,000 residents, and lies in a mountain forest setting where five valleys converge. Missoula is only 140 miles from Glacier National Park and 270 miles from Yellowstone. Within an hour’s drive of Missoula, is the largest freshwater lake in the western United States, Flathead Lake. Great recreation, restaurants and a vibrant cultural scene compliment the wonderful rivers to make Missoula one of the best communities in the west.
Some of our favorite summer activities in the Missoula area are listed below. For a full listing of attractions, visit the Missoula Convention and Visitors Bureau website.
View the Missoula Discovery Map
Annual Summer Events
- Garden City Brewfest – May
- International Wildlife Film Festival – May
- Garden City River Rod Run – June
- Independence Day – July
- Street Jam Basketball Tournament – July
- KidsFest -August
- Western Montana Fair -August
- River City Roots Festival -August
- Missoula Symphony in the Park -September
- GermanFest -September
- Hempfest -September
- Maverick Brewfest -September
- Montana Festival of the Book -September
- River City Roots Festival -September
- Farmers Market at Circle Square – Every Saturday from 8:30am to noon. Held mid May through mid October.
- Out to Lunch with live music in Caras Park – Every Wednesday from 11 to 2pm. Held June through August.
- Downtown ToNight in Caras Park – Every Thursday night from 5:30 to 8:30. Held June through August.
- First Friday Gallery Night at the downtown galleries, from 5 to 8pm. Held every first Friday of every month.
- Bonner Park Concerts at Bonner Park – Every Wednesday from 8pm to late.
Other things to do
- Brenan’s Wave located in downtown Missoula on the Clark Fork River
- The Carousel & Dragon’s Hollow play area
- Garnet Ghost Town
- Grizzly Athletics
- Hiking the “M”
- Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
- Missoula Children’s Theater
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and Visitor Center
- Smokejumpers Visitors Center
- Glacial Lake Missoula
- Visit Seeley Lake Recreational Area